Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tantrums. . .Tyranny. . .Tired. . .

Is Aidan a descendant of the Tyrannical Tsar by the name of Ivan the Terrible???? I'm beginning to think it's possible. . .

On Saturday, I took Aidan to Target where we purchased several more toys to take to the pool and to the beach. Thinking we would be able to make it to the pool on Sunday, I opened the packages and put his initials on the floaties and inner tubes. My plan was to go to the early church service, come home and get the toys, towels, sunscreen and bathing suits, head to McDonalds for Chicken nuggets and then hit the pool for a couple of hours before nap.

Unfortunately, Sunday dawned cloudy, windy and there was a little chill early in the day. . .it did warm up later--when Aidan was napping. So, change of plans. We hung out and had a leisurely breakfast and then went to the later church service which starts at 11:15. Aidan was an absolute angel. . .until 11:16. From that point onward his inner tyrant came out and would not go away no matter what I tried to do to mollify the little demon. At one point, I picked him up to try and soothe him and talk him down to a quiet roar. . .no such luck. In fact, he decided to try out doing raspberries and basically spit in my face! sigh. . .then he started to hit me, but did stop himself. But, that was it. I packed us up and left the church right before communion (something I never thought I would do!) and took us home. Once home, I got Aidan out of his throne, I mean carseat, and told him to go straight to his room. He cried all the way there and then stood in his doorway and cried. I listened for 15 full minutes before I felt calm enough to go and talk to him. I think he understood me. We'll see! But, next time I take him to church he is going to the nursery (another thing I never thought I would do!). This behavior is getting so exhausting. . .

I can't wait for him to start Preschool and have more constant structured time--7 days a week!!

1 comment:

Troy and Rachel said...

As you know, Daniel has been full of himself too. I really think being so busy, off schedule and overwhelmed in our case has a lot to do with it. I hope a few quiet days will bring our angelic children back to us!!!