Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Uses Self Control

Each time I go out of town for business, I learn something new.  This time was that perhaps I should have stayed home! 

Pat has continued to be off work due to his ankle injury from two weeks ago and, in fact, has not been taking it as easy as he should.  That should have been my clue to stay home.  But, off I went to Wintergreen Resort where I mingled and talked with our agents.  I had left Wednesday morning and then called home that afternoon to see how things were going.

There was a note home from school. 

Aidan had had a particularly rough day at school.  So rough that the Principal was notified.  I won't go into the details of what happened because I am not excusing Aidan's actions, minor as I felt it was.  However, I will state that it was an accident.  What was upsetting, though, was that Aidan was sobbing on the phone when he told me what had happened and then went on to say it was an accident and that he hadn't meant to do it.  Oh man.  If only my arms could have reached through the phone lines to hug and comfort my child!! So, after discussing it further with Pat, with whom I confirmed that neither he nor I had received a phone call from the school (if the Principal is notified of something, doesn't that warrent a phone call to the parents???) I fired off a stern email to the teacher stating as such and that I felt it would have been considered common courtesy to do so. 

I did receive a call from the school then.  Just as I was leaving Wintergreen on Thursday afternoon.  It was conference call with the teacher and the Principal.  I think we came to an understanding and that we were all agreed that we should have gotten a call.  Aidan did fine on Thursday and every other day last week so I think it was a one day thing.  The one full day I was out of town.  : (

The funny thing about last week is that I had been ready to discuss with Aidan's teacher that fact that each week, he has been coming home with more and more stars and yet the Uses Self Control section of the Star Report is always "N" for Needs Improvement.  However, last week he went up to an "S" for Satisfactory.  Go figure!!

The other really crazy school thing that happened was that Aidan came home on the bus on Wednesday, due to the note I had sent to school asking that he do this.  And then, on Thursday, I got a call while driving home from Pat saying, "Guess who just walked in the door?"  No note went to school and all we can say is thank goodness Pat was home!!!  Aidan was supposed to have gone to Winwood but came home instead and then told Pat, "Daddy, you forgot to pick me up at the bus stop!  But, it's okay, Charlie walked me home."  Oh my!!!

We did have a nice 3 day weekend.  We only had football on Saturday morning and no hockey this week.  It's been really cold, but that has only added to the feeling of fall.  We didn't make it to Pumpkinville like we had wanted because of the cold rain, but we'll try again next weekend.  Aidan really wants to go.

Pat went back to the doctor for his ankle yesterday and came home with this:
No it's not broken.  The tendon is really messed up and the doctor decided to cast him because it will protect it while it heals, inspite of Pat--who can't sit still for more than 5 minutes!!  He'll have this on for a couple of weeks. 

We ended the weekend with a nice fire in the fire place (it was in the 40's yesterday!) and watched "It's the Great Pum[pkin Charlie Brown!"  Can you tell Aidan likes it??


No comments: