Aidan at Beach

Aidan at Beach

Monday, September 24, 2012

Going a Million Miles a Minute

Whew!!!  I need to catch my breath. . .

Last Monday, my mother in law went in to have the hip replacement that she had had done 20years ago redone. It kept popping out and she needed the top of the hip joint to have a new ball so it wouldn't do that anymore.  On Thursday, she was transferred to a Rehab Center.  She is doing well, but it will take a while for her to heal.  We went and saw her on Saturday and she seems to be in really good spirits and is doing really well.  But, she can't really get up yet.  She's not strong enough in her upper body to pull herself up and so she is pretty confined to the bed.  But, she did seem okay, if not resigned to it.  She's making the best out of a hard situation.

Thursday was also Aidan's Back to School Night. I met with his new Reading Specialist that he is working with. Aidan apparantly knows a lot of sight words but has trouble with his writing and putting it all together. So, he's working with the Specialist several times a week and a book comes home that we are to have him read to us each night. I then have to inital each day that he has done it. I have to admit that I was a bit worried about him going to a Specialist because I didn't think he had a problem. I'm so about it though in order help him reach his potential!  I'm going to talk to his teacher at Winwood about helping him put his sight words together to create sentences.  That might help as well.

Also on Thursday was Aidan's football practice and then we had to be at the field by 7:30 for his 8:00 game on Saturday morning.  Boy did that feel early!  Aidan did really well with the game.  The other team had a lot of much bigger, and appeared much older, players.  They targeted Aidan becuase he is fast.  Aidan caught a pass and ran 30 yards in for a touchdown and then the other team began going after him.  There was one player in particular who kept pulling on Aidan's shirt and then pulling the flag.  This is flag football:  no holding and no tackling!

And then there was another play where Aidan had the ball and he was running down the sidelines when that kid came up and pulled him down, tackling him.  The refs did nothing!!!  My baby had grass and dirt all over his shins and hands.  It really freaked him out and he started crying. . .and my mommy instincts went into overdrive causing me to run out onto the field to see for myself if he was okay.  Yes, I stopped short of hugging and kissing him, but not by much!!  He was fine, which I saw for myself when I brushed him off.  The coach quietly said to me, "I got this mom."  I looked at him and realized I was on his turf. . .bad mommy.  I did apologize to him later explaining my mommy instincts took over.  He was very gracious about it and told me is was okay at which time his mother said she had Grandmommy instincts kicking in!!  : )  I have to confess, though, that I yelled at the other teams coach on the way off the field about his player.. .who was noticibly absent the rest of the game!  : )  Mom's Rule!!!

Anyway, our team only had 5 boys show up meaning that they had to play the entire game with only a short 5 minute break at half time.  And, I am proud to say, our boys tied this much bigger group!  3 to 3!!!  Go Knights!!!

#1 was the only small player on the other team. . .

Friday night, Aidan had hockey practice and he got his jersey back, now with his name on it!!!  That was exciting!!! 

He is so loving being on the Grey Wolves team.  He is definitely the youngest, but still doing well.  At practice, they had to push a goal across the ice by holding the middle bar.  That goal is easily twice his weight and about three times as big, if not more!  But, he did it.  And smiled the entire time.

Saturday afternoon, Aidan had his Hockey Skills class.  He was loving that as well.  The coaches there know him so well that they will call him out and/or praise him at the drop of a hat.  : )  Aidan loves it.

Sunday morning, bright and early, we headed back to the ice house for Aidan's second Mites hockey game:  Grey Wolves v. Yellow at 7:40 am!!  (yawn!!!) He still didn't score, but he did get an assist and he almost scored once!  He did put one in the goal on our side : ) but he was forgiven by his team.  They were all really cute helping each other and playing more like a team this time.    Unfotunately, they lost.  But, they really gave it  good try!  10-8 Yellow.

Sunday afternoon, some friends came over to watch the Redskins game.  We're trying to get a little more into the football feel this year.  No NHL (darn lockout!), so we need some professional sport to watch!  Although, now that the Nats are in the Playoffs. . .

Anyway, after the game, the kids and the men went outside to play some kick ball while us ladies did the finishing touches on dinner (venison chili) and set the table.  Unfortunately, we didn't even get to eat it!  No more than 15 minutes had passed when Gary came in with the news that Pat had twisted his ankle and that it looked really really bad.  Yep.  Bad enough that I took him over to the hospital.  Thank goodness they reopened the old hospital here in town!  A couple of hours later, some x-rays, a brace a prescription and instructions to go home and ice it down, stay off of it and keep it elevated and we headed home. . .where I made the decision to stay home today to make sure all of the above happened.  For the most part it has.  But, boy does that ankle and foot look awful!  It is so swollen, the skin is a bit shiny.  : /  Pat does have an appointment on Thursday afternoon to see if anything more needs to be done.  I'm supposed to go out of town next week for two days and a night for our annual agency meeting.  I guess I'll see how things are on Friday to see if I actually go.

Today was nice, though.  I was able to take care of Pat, get Aidan on and off the bus (I love that part!) and make some gingerbread cookies which Aidan will love to have as his bed time snack with some warm Apple Cider!  Perfect now that the weather has cooled off and is in the 40's at night!

And there you have it.  What we've been up to.  Lookng forward to Columbus Day weekend which should be much much quieter!!

No comments: