Aidan at Beach

Aidan at Beach

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Beach Week 2013

We're home.  We have arrived back in the land of fast paced living.  We don't get to take it slow again for a while.  I love taking it slow.

We had a great time in Kitty Hawk.  We stayed at a hotel that had a really soft bed and pillows that felt like bricks (really lovely for the back, neck and head--especially I you are old, like me!) but it was right on the ocean, there was a pier the boys could go fish off of, there was no kitchen in our room (which means I didn't have to cook!--although that did have a bit of a backlash for me and my diet--whew!), and we had maid service.  We put on our bathing suits and grabbed some breakfast somewhere and then headed onto the beach where we parked ourselves for a day of fun in the sun and ocean.  It was really nice.

And the funny part is, it has rained and been cloudy all summer long.  Except for the week we were at the beach!  It was sunshine and hot weather the entire week! 

We drove down last Saturday.  Although it should only take about 5 hours to drive down, it took us about 7 1/2 to 8 due to an accident in the Williamsburg area and then heavy traffic once we got into North Carolina.  Everyone going to the Outer Banks has to take the same two lane road over the same two lane bridge out to the Banks.  It's a little frustrating each time, but we still do it because it is so worth it once you get there. 

We still got there early afternoon on Saturday (that gives you a little idea of how early we left!) and I had plenty of time to unpack and spread out while the boys went to check out the pier.  That evening, we walked across the street and got Carolina BBQ. . .yum. . .although, mine is better!  : )

After dinner, the boys went fishing at the pier and I hung out on the balcony reading.  But, I wasn't so engrossed that I missed this!  Beauty. . .

Sunday found us on the beach early.  Aidan had us drag all of his sand toys out to the beach, but all he really wanted to do was to be buried

and go swimming. 

But, something happened while swimming.  We're not exactly sure what, but we think Aidan must have gotten pummeled by a wave without us noticing, although we were watching him carefully--he's a daredevil and this is the north end of the Graveyard of the Atlantic.  Shoals and sandbars make some crazy dangerous currents in this area.  As calm as it looks, people get pulled out and under very easily.  So, we're just not sure.  But, Aidan was afraid of the ocean.  He kept saying the surf was crazy and the current was strong.  But, he worked through it--probably had something to do with a few other little boys his age that he wanted to play with!  In the end, he was surfing along on his boogey board with out too much difficulty. . .as soon as Daddy pulled him out far enough that is!  : )

We spent all day Sunday and Monday on the beach, with a little time at the pool for good measure.  By the end of the second day, we were all feeling a bit crispy and I decided we needed a day away doing some other fun touristy things.  So, on Tuesday, we drove down to Roanoke Island and visited Fort Raleigh.  Very cool indeed!!  In addition to the old fort and the lost colony, there is also an Elizabethan theatre, Elizabethan Garden (which we did not see, sadly), and a wonderful Ranger who told us all about how the island was involved in the Civil War (and he knew all about our little burg's battle too!  very cool); about how the local slaves had come to the island to create their own community during the war (which at the time would have meant they ran away--or worse!--stole themselves!!) and how a local man invented AM radio there on the island--but didn't get credit because he waited too long to get the patent!  On the way out, we noticed the Spanish Moss.  I couldn't help thinking that I hadn't realized Spanish Moss could be found this far north.  I thought Wilmington, NC was as far north as it came.  But, I see I was wrong. . .which was actually cool because Aidan thought it was pretty hanging from the trees that way and actually wanted to bring some home for our trees. . .

All in all, our time at Roanoke Island's Fort Raleigh was a huge pleasure. 

Our next stop for the day was in Kill Devil Hills--The Orville and Wilbur Wright Monument.  Let me tell you:  that was very cool  I had always thought these men had flown their machine from the top of the dunes.  But, in actuality, they flew it from flat ground.  Regardless of who people think was first in flight, these two brothers had an amazing achievement.  On December 17, 1903, they made four flights, none lasting even a minute.  And yet, just over 10 years later, men were flying planes in raids over Europe during World War One.  And then just 60 years later, men were flying spaceships to the moon. . .Truly amazing.  And absolutely genius:

Our day ended with a trip to Captain Franks for hot dogs and then a trip to the pool.  What a great day!  I have to be honest and tell you that Aidan began the day gritchy and grouchy because he wanted to go to the beach.  He didn't want to see a bunch of museum type things!  But, we were pleasantly surprised when he showed interest at Fort Raleigh and then was really into the monument and flight information at Kill Devil Hills!  Pretty great!!  (Mama pats herself on the back for having him read the book earlier about the Wright Brothers!  : )  )

Wednesday and Thursday we were back at the beach for more fun in the sun:  swimming, surfing, being buried in the sand (and not once playing with the sand toys!!!  : (  he's over them. . .)  And the boys went fishing each evening after dinner.
I had a better longer video of Aidan boogey boarding, but Blogger won't let me upload it!  I don't know why.

I'm not touching that thing!

On Thursday evening, we ventured over to Awful Arthurs for Crab Balls, Steamed Shrimp and Hushpuppies.  Yummy and fun, especially when we were visited by a pirate by the name of Captain Curri C. Tuck!

Back at the hotel, the boys went fishing while I began the chore of packing up.  Friday morning, after a very restless night, I was up early and we were off by 8:00.  We were all ready to go home.  In fact, the night before, when I was putting Aidan to bed, he said, "I miss Maggie and Mosby, and my CoCo Puffs, and my bed, and my house, and Charlie and Ava and Zack and Kaitlin.  I'm ready to go home."  Me too, buddy!!  Aidan was totally exhausted and really ready. . .

This was really the perfect amount of time to be away.  We left Saturday morning and came home on Friday.  Traffic was pretty light on Friday coming back, so that made it really great. 

We did have a couple of reality break throughs while away:  I got the notice about Fall sign up for Hockey--which I did online; and I received an email with the Second Grade School Supply List.  And so there you have it:  Fall is coming, like it or not.  Which is actually a like, with these 90+ temps!

Now that we're back, I have completed 6 loads of laundry--washed, dried, folded and put away.  And I did our budget for August; went to Costco for some things we needed; cleaned the floors; and made my grocery list for the next two weeks.  I'll head to Wegman's tomorrow.  And now, we are ready to do our porch!

Stay cool!

1 comment:

Troy and Rachel said...

What a wonderful week!! So glad you had good weather! Fishing and beach our kind of vacation!!