Friday, July 26, 2013

Amazing Feats

The week following a vacation is always a difficult one.  It's just an amazing feat to get up and get everyone going for the day and get myself to work!  And yet, this week has been a week of amazing feats.

Monday was a very difficult day.  Not in any horrible sense.  But, it was difficult because of a person I work with (not in my office) who continues to make some very bad decisions on business to write and I have to be the one to tell her we can't do it.  It wouldn't be so bad except that this is a continuing problem and she always presents the business to me with the caveat:  This is a very close friend from church.  Monday's situation was especially horrible because she decided to challenge me on every point of my decision.  And I had to involve my supervisor and manager.  I hate it when that happens.  But, they supported me in what I had decided--emphatically--and the matter ended there. 

Until Wednesday when she presented another batch of new business to me--3 applications--again marked that the business was for a very close friend from church.  After looking the applications over, it was very clear that she had not even glanced at our guidelines.  I had to decline the applications and forward a copy of our guidelines to her, which I know she was not happy about.  I'm worried she is painting herself into a corner by trying to do so much business within her own personal community.  I'm not sure that is a good practical business plan.

It was an amazing feat for me to not lose my cool over this situation nor bash my head against the wall!!

I don't usually talk about my work here, but I needed to purge that especially now that it's Friday and time to move on!

Another amazing feat happened on Wednesday morning.  Actually two of them.

Aidan has his Cold Rush lesson on Wednesday mornings.  It starts at 6:00 am, so we need to leave the house about 5:15ish in order to get there and get him into his gear.  This allows a few minutes of breather before the lesson actually starts.  On Tuesday night, I double checked my alarm to make sure it as set for the right time. . .and apparently turned it off!!  I woke up Wednesday morning at 5:15!!!!  YIKES!!! 

I jumped out of bed, ran downstairs, made 3 lunches and got everything ready to go.  Then, I ran upstairs and showered and got ready for work, woke Pat and asked him to get Aidan up and dressed.  We were out the door at 6:00.  Yes, I knew we'd be late, but better late than not at all. 

We got to the Ice House and I got Aidan all geared up and he was on the ice at 6:25. . .Whew!!  I don't mind telling you that I was absolutely impressed with myself on that one!!  Aidan missed 25 minutes of the foot skills portion of the lesson, but was still there for 15-20 minutes of it and all of the stick skills portion.  Not bad Mama!!!

And the other amazing feat happened during Aidan's lesson:  Previously, the foot skills coach has had the boys doing jumps over hurdles of varying sizes.  They do a speed skill drill down the ice and then come back fast and have to jump over a hurdle.  On Wednesday, she only had the tall hurdles out.  Aidan usually jumps over these one foot at a time.  It's more of a stumble jump.  All last week, we practiced jumping over waves at the beach, making it a game.  Well, Aidan not only jumped over those hurdles, both feet together, he cleared them with about six inches of air between the bottom of his blades to the top of the hurdle!!  It was amazing!!!  I could hear the coaches praising him loudly and I could see my baby grinning from ear to ear!!  Amazing!!!

Another amazing feat this week is that We. Are. Starting. Our. Porch!!!!  We have our approval from the HOA and from our Town.  We should have our permits from the County next week.  But we have made our initial contract deposit, materials are being ordered and demolition has commenced!!!  Woo Hoo!!!  After the 8 weeks it has taken us to get to this point, this is amazing!!!  I'm hoping to be in there by Labor Day.

Finally, my mom is doing so much better.  Three weeks ago, I wasn't sure what was going to happen.  She has gained weight, and strength.  And she is cranky about decisions my sisters and I have made for her.  :  )  This is amazing.

And now it's Friday.  I'm tired from all this amazingness.  I am hoping for a quiet weekend.

No comments: