Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Pandemic 4/15/2020

It's cold today.  It's only 38* this morning and expected to be even colder tomorrow morning.  And it's raining right now.  I guess the winds will pick up as well at some point over the next day or so.

Today is Wednesday and I'm working from home.  I'm enjoying the one day a week.  I am getting a lot done, answering a lot of calls, AND I'm able to supervise Aidan's school work.  Today, that is very important because Loudoun County is beginning Distance  Learning of new material.  I still maintain that it will be difficult, at best, for students to learn a Foreign Language through Distance Learning.  I'm just hoping Aidan can pass French.

Gas at the Paeonian Springs Shell is now $1.79.  Honestly, this is the lowest I've seen gas prices since 9-11.  I remember we were all very shocked a few days after 9-11 when the gas prices shot up to $1.84. . .and they only went up from there.  I still have a 1/4 tank that I purchased a month ago (at $2.09 a gallon!!) but I'm still going to fill up tomorrow on the way to work.  I can't not take advantage of that $1.79!  And to think I thought $2.09 was awesome!!

Okay, time for some numbers:

World:  2,008,977
United States: 614,451
Virginia:  6171
Loudoun County:  344
Maryland:  9472
Washington, D. C.:  2058

Maryland is up over 1200.  Makes Virginia's almost 900 seem not so bad. . .but it is bad.  We're still rising.  The President keeps talking about wanting to get people back to work and reopen the country.  But, what about a resurgence?  That is the big concern--if we go too fast, we could have a second wave.  Please God, no second wave, okay??

Yesterday, I ordered several seed packets from Monticello for vegetables and herbs.  I'm excited about them.  I'm hoping to talk Pat into going to Meadows Farms this weekend so we can pick up some plants.  It's a little early still for bedding plants, but I could keep them on the porch where they would be protected.

I also ordered two storage boxes where we can store cushions for the furniture that is outside.  I'm hoping to get the patio and porch cleaned up this weekend.  But, what to do about that old refrigerator?  We also have the old steps from the pool.  I'm going to see if we can just take that apart and store it in the work room so we can keep it, just in case we have to buy another pool this summer.  We tossed the old one because it had some rips in the lining.  And we hadn't planned on buying a new one.  However, if the neighborhood pool and the one at Ida Lee don't open this summer, we will want something.

I saw something on the news the other morning saying Maryland is considering distance learning for next year.  I can't even. . .

I think I'm going to try and start getting some nature pictures to put on here at the beginning of each post.  Maybe something to look at and contemplate.

Stay safe.  Stay well.

No comments: