Thursday, April 2, 2020

Pandemic 4/2/2020

Totals as of today:

World:  1,002,159
United States:  238,063
Virginia:  1706
Loudoun County:  121
Maryland:  2331
Washington, D. C.:  653

I shouldn't just focus on the numbers, I know.  But, I am not tracking the deaths nor am I tracking the recoveries.  Just the diagnoses. Maybe when we get to the end, I'll make a note of the totals for all of it.  For now, though, these increases are stunning.  And disturbing.

Everything seems so negative these days.  I want to see something positive each day.  Today is about gas prices.  The Shell station in Paeonian Springs has been $1.79 a gallon for over a week.  Ironically, two weeks ago, I filled up the Traverse to the tune of $2.09 per gallon.  I cheered and celebrated!  And, because I haven't been driving anywhere on the cheap gas, aside from work, I still have 3/4 of a tank.  So, I haven't been able to take advantage of the $1.79 a gallon. . .but still. . .woo hoo!!!  Gas hasn't been this low since 9/11.

Stimulus Relief checks are expected to begin being processed tomorrow.  These will be deposited directly into our bank account.  Ironically, Pat and I are still working full time with full pay.  So, the stimulus isn't necessary for us.  So, we'll do some good for someone else--specifically a local small business--with the money.

I am sensing Allanis Morrissette in the above paragraphs. . .

A couple of weeks ago, I was wondering if we would be back to normal by the end of April.  Now, I'm wondering if we'll be there by the end of June.  It's that crazy these days.  Yesterday, I worked from home and was able to really get a lot done as well as answer the phones.  I made a great case for continuing to do this.  So, next Wednesday I will work from home again.  This allows me to supervise Aidan's Homeschooling better.  I also come home at lunch to check in and make sure he is staying on track.  This week has been a difference maker as far as Aidan is concerned.  Thank goodness.

I think we're going to have to start wearing masks when we are outside and in public spaces.

I would never have thought we would be here in this place.

No comments: