Tuesday, December 9, 2008

An apple a day keeps the doctor away ?????

Most of you who know Aidan know that he adores apples: applesauce, apple juice, apple pie, and especially a great big juicy whole apple--preferably, um absconded from Grandma's house. . .so why isn't that love keeping the doctor away????

Yesterday I stayed home with Aidan, again, and took him to the doctor, again (third time in less than a week!!! YIKES!) He was sounding wheezy on Sunday and a little worse on Monday, so off we went. I made them see me right away because I was worried about how his throat was contracting when he breathed in. Well, after checking his oxygen levels, doing a breathing treatment and then checking him again, the doctor did a quick test for RSV. . .and it was postive.

Apparantly, RSV stands for Respiratory Syncytial Virus and is something that infects the lungs in the form of upper and lower respiratory infections. Aidan had been diagnosed with Chronic Bronchitis in Russia, so it is possible that he has had this before. Anyway, this stuff is highly contagious so we won't be around Grandma and Grandpa for about 10 days (sorry guys!) and we'll probably have to cancel our Anniversary plans for Saturday--don't want to expose new folks to this! Luckily, everyone at our sitters has it so once Aidan is used to the breathing treatments he can go back there--probably on Wednesday.

So, the treatments: We use a small vial of Albuterol in a Nebulizer and turn it on putting this cute dinosaur mask on Aidan's face


He screamed at first, but is already getting used to the process. I told him he is a fire breathing dragon with the mist coming out of his nose and he really liked that!

So we do this thing every four hours (yes, even at night!) for the first week; then every six hours the second week; then every eight hours the third week and then every twelve hours for a final week. . .I'm already tired and it's only been one day! : ) But, I'll do anything to make my little dudely feel better! And, his cough and wheezing are already greatly improved. But, I am dreading the Pediatrician bill when it comes. . .

Speaking of feeling better, he did have some good moments on Sunday. . .While I watched football (I don't really want to talk about the Redskins, so don't ask me--another post for that!) and caught up on some laundry and ironing, Aidan was playing with his trucks and stuff. After a while, I heard him in Pat's "Man's Room" making a funny RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR noise. . .not really an R sound, but like a machine kind of sound. I went to check on him and he had the hose of the Shop Vac and was walking around pointing the nozzle to the ground and making this noise. I asked him what he was doing and he said with a look of "don't you know anything???" "Aya blow leaves, MAMA!" Oh. Okay. I went back to my ironing. Several minutes later, when I checked on him again, he was by the couch in the Man's Room still with the Shop Vac hose and still making the sound. So, I asked him, still blowing leaves, Aidan? "NO, MAMA! (I must be dumb to him! ; 0) Aya vacuum beep beep!" Oh. Okay! Pat is just hoping he stays that interested in stuff like that when he gets older!

No comments: