Friday, July 16, 2010

Mama Bear Growls. . .GRRRRRR!!!!!



I am frequently stunned by how small Aidan is (he is big for his age, though), especially when I see him from behind like this. I think we tend to forget he is still just a little guy because his personality is so big and he has filled our lives so much!

But, he is just a little guy still. . .a fact that became even more apparrant this week in regards to his school. As previously posted, I had become concerned because several of Aidan's classmates have already moved to the Pre-K class. I know Aidan is ready to go and I was curious so I asked what was going on.

The story I got was what I expected: space came open and several kids were moved so that that space could not be taken by others who were not already attending. A little curious of a response, but whatever. That conversation occured on Tuesday. Put together with the information I had received a few weeks ago about the groups in Aidan's class being rearranged for behavioural and developmental needs I started to realize this has been going on for a while. . .and none of the parents of children not going forward yet were told!

I was completely unprepared when Aidan started making comments such as he missed his friends and why can't he play with them anymore???? In talking to Aidan, I discovered that yet another child is transitioning early. . .my back went up. Mama Bear arrived with a major growl.

Let me preface this next part by saying I was not trying to get Aidan moved early. He is fine where he is and he will begin transitioning to Pre-K on August 23rd. I just wanted to know what was going on and to be told the truth. How can I talk to Aidan if I don't know what is going on????? I let the Director of Aidan's school have it.

I told her what I thought and she was quite clear how angry I was that I was not told by the teacher I questioned a few weeks ago, by her the other day and that she didn't expand on the additional child when we talked the other day (that child's mother found out like I did and insisted that her son be moved right away). Boy was I mad. . .I told her I expect to be told the full truth of what is happening so I am prepared to help Aidan with whatever changes are going on. I told her that we like this school, the teachers--especially the one Aidan has right now!, and the children. We don't like not being told when changes are happening.

I think she got my message. . .loud and clear. I hope.

1 comment:

sonflowerjax said...

I just have a smile on my face after reading this. Mamma bear. ;) Gotta do what you gotta do, right? I am sure Aidan will transition beautifully.