Wednesday, November 3, 2010

November Cornahopia

Aidan came home from school the other day and said, "Mama!  I made a Cornahopia today!"  I think that is a better word and probably closer to what our forefathers were thinking when they put all of those first fruits together. . .I am assuming, of course, that the Cornahopia Aidan made will come home with the 20 pounds of artwork we bring home each week.  I'd really like a turkey, though.  Do you think they take art requests at school?

Yesterday I took Aidan with me to vote.  While there, this was our quick conversation about it:
"What's voting, Mama?"  It's when I tell the people what I want and then I hope they listen.  "Oh!  Okay!"

Aidan later went with Daddy to vote and then proceeded to tell the lady checking Daddy in that he had voted twice. . .wish I could have seen those raised eyebrows!

Speaking of voting, I am glad it's done. . .not because we had a huge election for my area--just one Representative to the House and a few bond issues.  But, our television has been full of ads for all of Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, Washington DC and Delaware.  Really.  A little overkill, to say the least.  Now those can stop and we can get back to doing our everyday things and hope that those elected will actually do something there inside the Beltway.  More Cornahopia, I guess.

And I guess it is a sign of the times, albeit a good one, that although we have been innunadated with all of these election ads, there have been no Christmas Commercials yet shown on tv that I have seen.  The stores are all decked out, but I haven't seen an ad yet. . .they usually start on Halloween night. 
Also yesterday, there was a thick frost on everything.  It had gotten down into the 20's for the first time this season.  I told Aidan that Father Frost had made us a visit. . .I think I may have to try to find the full story--I only know some of the story about Ded Moroz and Snegurachka and how they defeat Baba Yaga, but I don't know all of it.  We do have a Father Frost that we'll put out at Christmas, but Aidan hasn't been old enough for the whole story.  He seemed interested yesterday so now I'll look. 

But, back to the frost. . .the weatherman actually said the word "snow" in connection with weather near us. . .possibly flurries here Friday morning, but actually snow further up in the mountains.  Yikes!  But, then again, it is November. . .

1 comment:

Barb said...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to start calling it "cornahopia" from now on, too!