Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ramblings on a Cold Wednesday Evening

Here we are a week into astronomical Spring and it is cold.  I mean there is rain coming down outside that is mixing with snow and sleet cold.  At least it isn't the 6-12 inches of snow they are expecting up north!  So we had a warm casserole for dinner and started a fire in the big fireplace upstairs.  Nothing like the crackle and spit of a nice wood burning fire to warm the fingers and toes!  I guess this means that March is going OUT like a Lion. . .

We've been so busy lately.  The wedding of Aidan's teacher was last Saturday.  It was very very nice.  The ceremony was at Furnace Mountain Presbyterian Church.  It was very stark and very beautiful in its starkness.  There was no ornamentation save for a simple wooden cross.  Everything was wood and the glass was clear and not stained. . .it really pointed out to me, yet again, how very close to the Catholic church the Episcopal church is!  We don't have statues, but we do have a lot of gold and stained glass!  But I digress. . .

The ceremony was followed by a wonderful reception at a beautiful Club House just north of Leesburg.  When the dancing commenced, Pat and I were surprised, and very amused, to see our young son doing the steps and moves in the foyer area to the line dance that was happening on the dance floor.  In fact, the teachers who saw him kept beckoning him to come out and dance with them!  He would have none of that.  He was happy where he was, thank you very much!  : )

Sunday was a busy day with Altar Guild and Hockey lessons after which I finished taking the last of the wallpaper border down. . .finally.  I will put up the new stuff tomorrow night and hopefully finish it all off this weekend.  Hopefully!  Aidan's new bed should be coming in the next week or so, so I really need to get this finished!  

Before the Hockey lesson, and because he has really been working hard, on his own, on the reading, I bought Aidan his new Hockey gloves:
Funny little man wants to wear them everywhere!  I had to put my foot down and say no to wearing them to school. . .no mulch on the hockey gloves!!

This week has been no less busy:  yesterday we had dinner with friends who will be moving in about a week to North Carolina.  Can't believe they're leaving!  Friday friends are coming over for pizza and Wii and Saturday another set of friends are coming for pizza and Wii.  Sunday we will be heading to another birthday party at Pump it Up and then off to dinner to celebrate Grandma and Grandpa's 62nd Anniversary!!!  Whew!!

It's also book fair week at Aidan's school.  I don't feel books are a frivolous expense, so I usually let Aidan pick out whatever he would like.  This is what he chose this time:
My boy loves Science!  ; 0

I scheduled Aidan's birthday party at Ashburn Ice House again.  It will be Saturday afternoon on May 14th.  I also ordered the most adorable invitations!  Can't wait to show you all how cute they turned out. . .when the arrive.

Meanwhile, in my spare time (lunch break during the week, that is!) I have been reading this fantastic book my In-laws got me:  Travels in Siberia.  It is about the travels of Ian Frazier, the author, in Siberia and his consuming obsesssion with Russia.  I can identify.  I had to chuckle within the first few pages when he mentioned that Russia has a particular smell.  The Russia smell.  Oh yeah!  I know that smell!  I'm almost 100 pages into this and am really enjoying it.  Anyone who has been to Russia, particularly Siberia, I do recommend this book:

I haven't heard him mention it yet, but there is a definite difference in the dust and dirt too in Russia.  It still coats the sneakers I wore most of the time while there.

And so I leave you this fine evening with a couple of cute shots of Aidan having his evening snack by the fire. . . while fending off the dogs, of course!




Until next time!

2 comments:

Barb said...

Ahhh . . . I love your fireplace - it looks so cozy:)

My, you sure are busy these days . . .hope you don't wear yourself out!

Barb said...

Oh yeah . . . I just nominated you for a blog award - you'll have to pick up the picture on my blog:)