Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Strange things

Pat has been gone all week hunting in Maine.  He sent pictures of what they had hunted.  Unfortunately, I'm unable to tell you what it is!  I really am not at all sure what it is!  As our rule is that we eat, or at least try, everything Pat brings home from his hunting expeditions, I'm a little more than just a little bit nervous about this one!

The location the guys are at looks beautiful, though, from the pictures.  Cold, but beautiful.  It does make me think about possible renting a cabin up there next summer for vacation. . .

There were a couple of things I left off the last post about my trip to my Mom's.  Both are kind of strange:

1)  The first morning I was at Mom's, I was still in bed, awake and reading, but still in bed.  I clearly heard Aidan say "Mama."  It was not distressed.  Just the simple, "Mama."  Like he was standing right next to me and about to say something.  I looked up from my Kindle and then my phone beeped with a text.  It was a picture of Aidan.  I tell you, my heart squeezed in a strange way and I thought to myself about the stories I have always heard about the connection between mother and child.  I am totally a believer in that.  Now.

2)  Do you ever wonder why smoke detector batteries always perish at 1:00 in the morning?  Okay, sometimes it's 2:00 in the morning. . .While at my Mom's, the last night/morning, actually, the smoke detector in the hallway right outside my room decided to have cardiac arrest of the battery.  I was getting up very early anyway for my flight, but really!  I went in search of batteries.  Couldn't find any in Mom's house and decided to disconnect the darn thing--the one in my room was only two feet away from dead detector, so I didn't see a real problem.  I advised my mom of the situation first thing and she had the problem dealt with before I even landed at Dulles. 

Fast forward to this past Saturday night/Sunday morning.  The smoke detector in one of our front guest bedrooms decided to have cardiac arrest. . .Pat was not at home.  I tried to ignore it, but it wouldn't be ignored!  I had to go down to the basement to get a 9volt battery out of our stash--at least I knew where they were!--sneak into Aidan's room for a chair in order to reach said ailing detector and then replaced the battery. . only to have my alarm go off  just a few hours later because Aidan had an early hockey game. 

Sigh. . .


More soon. . . .

No comments: