Saturday, January 4, 2014

Midlife Crisis? Project List and Prayers for Others

2013 ended with as much of a flurry of activity as it had all during the year. . .and 2014 has started with excitement, new beginnings, and a continued crazy schedule.

On New Years Eve, we went down to Tysons Corner-a place we ordinarily purposely avoid!- and bought a dream car for Pat.  It is a used 2012 Camero (yes, he is turning 50 in a couple of weeks : ) ). . .used, but only has 4200 miles on it!  It has all of the bells and whistles, is black, a convertible and I actually feel comfortable behind the wheel.  Not that I have driven it.  Not that I have even ridden in it yet!  Hey, what's up with that??? 

Anyway.

It is beautiful.  And, although this means we currently have 5 vehicles, Pat has promised to sell the old Neon in March.  And so, my chances of getting a car, that is mine, into the garage has just diminished even more--Pat's '73 Corvette and now the Camero are in there. . .  : ( 

Aidan loves the new Camero.  I think he is thinking it may be his in 10 years. . .  : /

And here it is
Beauty, isn't it??  Yeah.  It really is.

I did find the new Chevy Traverse that I really like, though.  Pat even liked it.  I'm hoping I can trade the Tahoe in on one of those in a couple of years.

Aidan decided on New Years Eve, he wanted to try and stay up to midnight.  He almost made it, too!  All the way to 11:23.  We woke him up at 5 minutes to midnight, wished him a Happy New Year and then trundled him off to bed.  Hilariously, he took one look at his bed and said, "Oh yeah!  There's my bed!"  Crawled in and was out.  And he slept until almost 10:30 the next morning.

New Year's day, I spent the day taking the inside Christmas decorations down and packing them up for next year.  It is a bittersweet operation.  As much as I love Christmas, I was just exhausted this year, so I was kind of glad to have everything looking fresh and uncluttered again.  I'm hoping to be more myself next year. . .over the top! 

We also watched the Winter Classic which was played outside up in Michigan.  Oh my!  It looked so cold and snowy.  Little did we know that that was heading our way!  The forecast for January 2nd was rain changing over to snow in the evening and then getting cold on the 3rd.  Well, my friends, the cold front moved in much sooner!  We had full on snow by early afternoon on the 2nd which resulted in about 5 inches and then that night the cold cold wind began to blow.

On January 3rd, I woke up and saw this on the fancy new weather station I got for Christmas




Yes, that says 14* with a windchill of -3* and wind of 19mph.  That was the steady wind here and gusts to 25 and 30.  It was sooo cold!  This is Virginia, people!  It's technically part of the South!  Come on!! 

We've gotten spoiled (so they say) with not having this kind of weather for at least 20 years.

It took me an hour to scrape the frozen snow off my car!  I was in tears because my fingers hurt so bad from the cold. . .which freaked Aidan out (sorry, baby!) and he went and got Pat up who helped me get the car cleaned off so I could go to work.  Aidan was off school due to the weather, so Pat kept him busy with inside things at Grandma and Grandpas and then at home, too.  I then brought home subs and we holed up in the warm Man Cave and spent the evening there. 

I thank God that we have such a nice warm house.  It's on evenings like that that I just really feel so for the homeless.  I know there are shelters, but honestly, that is little comfort on these bitterly cold nights.  And, I hear there is more, and even colder, to come!  Pray for those without to have a place to go and give thanks we have such nice warmth.

Meanwhile, back at our busy schedule. . .

Aidan has a game today at Prince William in Woodbridge, Virginia and then tomorrow morning in Bowie, Maryland.  But then we'll be free the rest of Sunday.  Maybe I'll get some work done on my workroom. . .
Yes, Maggie is pulling away a little. . .just a little. . .  : )

And, so, we have some projects lined up.  We seem to make project lists like most people make resolution lists!  First off, we're getting the gas fireplace we bought last summer hooked up in the Rec Room.  Hopefully in the next week or so.  Then, we're adding some pull down attic stairs in my workroom so I can get some things packed away and out of sight (not to mention I'll have a new present hiding place other than my closet!  shhhh!!)

In March, we're planning to have our kitchen countertops, stovetop and sink replaced.  So excited for that!!!  I've been wanting to do that for a couple of years. . .

At some point this year, we're also planning to paint and put down wood floors in our bedroom and my work room with Pat building me some shelves, similar to those shown behind Aidan above, as well in my work room.  So excited also to do this!!!  Two more rooms will be liberated from the carpet scene. . .And the shelves!!!!  Love them in the office and can't wait to have them in the work room which will have a writing desk, daybed with trundle and other work space for wrapping gifts, etc.  That room faces west and looks out at the park across the street.  Such a nice restful view.

That's about it.  I guess I'll just ask for some prayers--I'm having a little procedure done on Monday.  Pray that all goes well and that there are no complications.

Blessings on your 2014!

No comments: