Friday, October 15, 2010

Cranky Gus. . .

I absolutely love spending time with Aidan in the morning.  Even when he is a Cranky Gus, which happens often enough.  When he wakes up happy, I always know he has slept well and gotten enough sleep, thus putting him in a great mood and ready and willing for whatever comes next.  But, when he wakes up as a Cranky Gus, that's when my skills as a mother come into play.

For instance, I might tickle him all over until he finally laughs.  This might be followed with "What do you want for Breakfast?"  His usual response, when cranky, is "Nothin"!"  What about a bowl full of Stink Bugs with milk?  Or how about some fried Stink bugs with cheese on top?  Or maybe a little bit of Stink bug pankcakes with Stink bug sauce on the side???  (We have a plethora of Stink bugs hanging out with us these days--but NOT in the house!)  Usually the talk of eating Stink bugs will begin to give me a little smile, followed by a laugh out loud, and some giggles and then wind up with a No Way!!  Ewwwww! and full belly laughs. . . smiles all around. . .

Today was no exception on the Cranky Gus. . .He was cranky from the moment he opened his eyes.  I went through my routine, even adding a Stink bug milk shake with Stink bug sprinkles. . .Aidan responded, "Why do you say things like that, Mama?"  Because you're made of snails and puppy dog tails, of course!!  "No, I'm not!  I'm made of boy!"  Yes, little man.  You definitely are. . .  : )

Anyway, after our normal ablutions, Aidan came out and sat down at the top of the stairs and said he didn't want to come down and have breakfast.  I responded, Okay.  I'm going to go and have an omlette. . . I went down and fed the dogs, let them out and began the process of getting my omlette when I noticed Aidan sitting at the bottom of the stairs.  I said, Hey.  And he said he wanted breakfast after all. . .one pancake.  How about I give you two and you can just eat one.  "I'm only eatin' one!"  Okay.  I gave him two. 

About when he was finishing his second pancake, Aidan told me he didn't want to learn anything today at school.  Okay.  That's fine.  Just go and sit in the corner at school and don't learn anything.  I'll make sure I tell Miss Mandy!  "Perfect!"  Okay, go wash your hands and put your shoes on.  It's time to go. . .

When I picked him up today, he proceeded to tell me, word for word, about how to call 911 and about Stop, Drop and Roll.  And even a little about who a stranger is and who to call if he's in trouble.  Perfect!!!  Sounds like you had a great day and learned lots of stuff!!  Yep, Mama.  It was a really great day.

Oooopss!  I forgot to tell Miss Mandy that he didn't want to learn anything!  : )

1 comment:

Barb said...

I am definitely gonna try the Stink Bug routine when Sofia's wearing her grumpy pants . . .