Monday, September 12, 2011

Remembering and Protecting our Normalcy

I have posted before about where I was and what I was doing 10 years ago when the attacks happened.  So, I won't restate those now.  What I will write about now is the days after.  How strange it was to not hear airplanes and then to all of a sudden hear an F16 fly over.  Being so close to Washington D. C., the fear here was palpable.  We were afraid because one of the planes had taken off from Dulles Airport, 13 miles from where I live.  And the FAA tower for the mid-Atlantic is located right here in Leesburg.  I believe at least two of the planes were tracked there.  Mt. Weather is just to the west of us about 20 miles up the road and Camp David is about a 1  1/2 hour drive north of us, straight up Rt. 15.  With D. C. and the Pentagon 30 to 35 miles to the East, we felt too close. 

Even having grown up in the Cold War, this felt different.  This was not the old comfortable enemy.  This was some strange new breed of enemy. . .one many of us weren't really familiar with. 

I did think about the events of 10 years ago yesterday, but I did not watch the tributes and memorials.  I found myself avoiding television because I think some of the images would have been too much to explain to Aidan.  He already asks if the bad men who crashed the planes went to see God.  I have talked to him about what happened, but I think too much is too much for a 5 year old.  But that does not mean we didn't pray for all those affected by the tragedies.  And we prayed for our country, the United States.

One happy thing about yesterday, I discovered that Aidan is learning the Pledge of Allegiance!  I didn't know that!  I was impressed and really really happy.  When he gets it all, I will record it and put it on here.  It's really cute.

And, now on to what's up with Aidan:

I had been really worried about him all last week.  On Friday, I took him to McDonalds for a Happy Meal, the box of which ended up on his head.  Perhaps the box was inspiration for he told me about the boys whom he is befriending in school.  They have been playing together and getting up to some antics in his Kindergarten class.  He sounded happy and content with these boys, of which he says there are about 10!  I explained to him that he would likely go to school all the way through high school and possibly college with these boys and he said, "Maybe we'll be police men or firemen together, too!"  That's right, sweetie!


Also, Aidan started his hockey lessons on Saturday.  I had signed him up for a class I thought would be challenging for him.  It is for 7-9 year old boys.  All the way to the rink he was complaining that all he wanted to do was Mini Mites.  I explained he needed work on stopping and that I really think he should do the lessons to be better in Mini Mites.  Complaining continued, though, all the way there.  Then we got there.  We put on the skates, helmet and gloves (pads, etc. will be for Mini Mites only) and he got on the ice.  You should have seen him smile!  He was so glad to be back on the ice you could just see it!  He was at least a half head shorter than the other boys and much smaller in size--big as he is.  I'm thinking most of the boys were an older 7 and possibly 8 or even 9 years old.  But, Aidan out-skated them all!  And he learned some new tricks on stopping so it was a good exercise all the way around.  I think he was glad afterward that he had gone.

Saturday afternoon, Catherine came over and we walked over to a playground where the kids played for about an hour.  We had been home a short time when one of the neighbor kids came over and invited them over for a water balloon fight.  Awesome!  Aidan and Catherine headed over and had a blast getting soaked!!





Sunday I took Aidan to church and then he went to Sunday School.  He loved it!!!  After he told me the whole story of Moses with Pharoahs daughter and Moses' sister Miriam.  It was awesome.  So, between Children's Chapel, Sunday School, and the stories I read to him, maybe Aidan will get a good religious education after all!  : )

Once home, Aidan decided to try on his Halloween costume that Aunty Amy gave him for his birthday.  He is going to be a really cute astronaut!!  All we need to get are the gloves, helmet and boots. . .to be ordered next weekend.  And, I have plans to turn the wagon into his rocket ship!!!  Fun!!
But, those pictures will have to wait until the whole costume is here.  : )  Aidan is soooo excited for Halloween!!!

Finally, we did actually sit down and watch the Redskins play the Giants.  I have to say, they were pretty impressive!  I might even watch more again!  Aidan wore his Redskin shirt, which I will need to buy a new one of, but has been a bit brainwashed by my friend Allison in that he kept saying Go Cowboys!  Now, if you know us Redskin fans, you know that that is practically treasonous sacrilidge.  I'm going to have to work on this boy.


Until next time, have a great week!

1 comment:

Barb said...

I also didn't watch anything on tv (just read a bit in the paper) . . . I knew it would just make me feel so sad and bring back those terrifying feelings from 10 years ago . . . even though we were in Canada at the time, our house was under the flight path to YVR, so the fly-ban was noticeable.Otherwise, looks like Aidan had a great weekend!