Aidan at Beach

Aidan at Beach

Sunday, July 19, 2009

It's Good to be Home!

We had a great time at the beach. We had perfect weather, after that one day of rain, and just really had a blast. The last day got a bit windy again and we were all getting tired, but we really had a great time.

Aidan came home with only a little bit of a tan and several freckles sprinkled across his cheeks and nose, but we were successful in avoiding any kind of burn. The biggest issues seemed to be the rubbing of his eyes when he got tired (his hands were constantly sandy!) and a little bit of chaffing. . .keeping his hands clean of sand helped with one issue and a little dab of vaseline before putting on the bathing suit helped with the other. But, he was still happy to see his home and his dogs yesterday!

Yesterday was a very long day. We left Emerald Isle at about 8:30 or a 8:45 and, after a quick stop for breakfast in Cape Carteret, we didn't really stop again until lunch time in Roanoke Rapids. . .that was a little after noon. We did make a couple of potty breaks, though. Aidan was cranky and wound up and just didn't want to sit still--but, then again, who does want to sit still for so long????

Still, he did pretty well, until we were about 15 miles from home, which is when he decided to get carsick! He hasn't done that for a long time. . .I think it was that he hadn't really eaten very well all day, aside from the candy we kept giving him to try and keep him quiet (note to self: this does NOT work!) and about two bites of mac and cheese at lunch. It wasn't a bad episode of car sickness, but I felt bad for him, nonetheless.

Anyway, we didn't get home until after 5:00. We were going to head over to Grandma and Grandpa's for dinner and pick up the dogs, but we just couldn't fathom putting Aidan back in the carseat and trying to eat with him as wound up as he was. So, we unloaded the car; let Aidan run around; Nana and I put some things away and, after Daddy got back with the dogs, ordered pizza and chinese!

We were so exhausted! Aidan could barely stay awake to eat (in fact, he fell asleep while I was reading to him!). . .and then we found out how lucky we were! My sister called, while were eating, to say that they were still in Charlotte! They were supposed to beat us home to Chicago! Their flight out of Jacksonville was delayed and then they missed the connector in Charlotte and so it was likely close to midnight last night when they got home. I'll take the little episode of carsickness, thank you!!!

Today will be busy. . .we need to have Nana to the airport by 10:30 am; laundry needs to be finished (I started that last night); Pat needs to re-pack and he will then head back to Kitty Hawk for his second week of work down there; and I will need to get Aidan's backpack and extra clothes ready for Preschool-which starts tomorrow! I was going to try fitting in church, which I haven't been to for a couple of weeks due to all this beach stuff, but I don't think that's going to happen! Next week.

I'll be downloading pictures later today and will post some then. In the meantime, it's good to be home.


Joy said...

I love to go on vacation but I also love to come home too. It sounds like you had a great time. I can not wait to see the pictures.

Troy and Rachel said...

Wow - what a busy drive home. I know you're glad the drive is over. I took notes about Aidan rubbing his eyes as we are headed to FL in August and never thought about that.

Glad you are home safe and had a great vacation.