Aidan at Beach

Aidan at Beach

Friday, March 26, 2010

One of Those Weeks!

Ever have one of those days? Well, how about one of those weeks???? We've had a doozy of a week. . .some good, some definitely NOT so good. . .

Last Saturday dawned beautiful, sunny and promised to be a warm day--it ended up being almost 80 degrees! The house was clean and fresh; everyone slept well--aside from some snoring; and we decided that we were going to spend the day on the go.

A small fly: my coffee maker decided to quit working. I love my morning couple of cups of joe and I'm very particular about it. It has to be strong and it has to be with filtered water, super hot, and from a particular brand and make of machine. Yes, I know how it sounds. Fortunately, I have a French Press, so I have been good to go while I await the arrival of my new machine. . .

We spent the day on the go and then came home to have pizza and play games with friends.

Sunday, a carbon copy of Saturday--weatherwise--and we were on the go again. After dropping off some clothes for Loudoun Foster Care, we were off to the mall to get Aidan's soccer gear. Then on to Grandma and Granpas for lunch and then home again to play outside. But, bad news! The little girl who had been over the night before had pink eye. . .uh oh. . .

Later on Sunday, Aidan came in for a snack. While he was sitting at the breakfast bar, I was getting things ready for dinner and for the week. I looked over and caught a glimpse of a huge lump under his chin about where his tonsils would be! Yikes!! Without trying to scare him, I went over to feel it and found a similar one on the other side. Both were as hard as rocks. I asked all the usual questions: Does your throat hurt? Does it hurt to swallow? Does your tongue hurt? There hasn't been any fever and his appetite has been the usual hot and cold. However, he had been super tired lately. Allergies. . .yes, that's it!

Monday, I called the pediatrician and made an appointment for Tuesday afternoon. Pat and I both decided to go: we're going to get to the bottom of this allergy thing and whip it! We decided it was time to ask about going to an ENT, too.

Tuesday, I left work early and met Aidan and Pat at the doctors office. . .we went in the well side--we were there for allergies! When the doctor came in, she took a look at his tonsils and said, they were huge! She asked about what we had been doing for his fever--really, no fever! She did patiently talk to us about an ENT and gave us some names but also decided to do a throat culture. . .okay, but really, we're here for allergies!

The quick test came back negative--of course it did--we're here for allergies! But, the doctor decided that Aidan needed some blood work just to rule out "scary stuff." Well, as any Mom knows, when the pediatrician says "scary stuff" in this day of computers, you're going to look on line to see what that might mean. . .don't do it. Take it from me that the lost sleep time is better spent laughing with your family!!

Still not thinking this was anything more than allergies, and going on my promise to Aidan on Tuesday of "no shots" we went out to dinner with Grandma and Grandpa and decided to get the blood work done on Wednesday. All I can say about that, was that was "fun" (insert sarcasm here). First, the doctor had put "stat" on the order so we had to go to the ER to get it done--didn't realize it was urgent! And Aidan absolutely freaked out. My poor baby was screaming so loud and with such passion, a lab technician had to come in to help calm him! I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE HIME FOR BLOOD WORK AGAIN FOR A LOOONNNGGG TIME!!!!

It was only Wednesday night and we were exhausted! So, we ordered in, and tried to get to bed early. . .right. . .

Thursday, I started calling the pediatrician office in the morning to find out the results. They finally called while I was at my orthopeadic doctor appt (which turns out to NOT be my last appt afterall : ( ) Aidan's white blood cell count was in the normal range. So, that was good. The other two tests ordered should be in Friday and in a week respectively--the message did not indicate what they were.

Off to PT for my arm and I get another call from the Pediatrician. . .Aidan has strep!! The regular throat culture just came back positive. Oh man!! So, they will be calling in an antibiotic. I'll pick it up after PT.

Called my office and let them know I wouldn't be in on Friday. . .a day which will be in the 40's and rainy! blah. . .

At PT, the pediatrician calls again and says that they had thought all of the tests were in, but we're still waiting on the Epsteins Barr resuls. . .Epsteins Barr??? Someone at PT says, oh, that's mono. . .Mono??? My baby is only 3!!!! How could that happen???

What happened to the allergy scenario??? I'm really not such a neglectful Mom, but I am sure feeling like it right now!!

And so, we're home today. Aidan is still sleeping and has started the antibiotic. He'll be fine, but boy things like this can wear a person down! Seriously, doesn't this child look like the picture of health???

We're hoping for a nicer weekend and to take him to see the Easter Bunny. . .Oh, and lest I forget. . .today marks two years since we got our "DA!" As crazy as this week has been, that week, two years ago, was probably the craziest of my life. March 26th, though, will always be a good day. . .and today will follow that rule, I'm sure!


Teresa & Kevin said...

Hi Stacy,
I am praying Aidan is doing better. I am sure it will be nothing to worry about, but prayers coming your way anyway - we all could use a prayer now and then. Either way, I hope his throat gets better fast, poor little guy! cute pics!
I hope you all have a great weekend!

Barb said...

Hope that strep is all that it is! He surely does take a cute picture;->