Saturday, June 4, 2011

Counting Down To Driving

Every time we come home from anywhere, Aidan always asks if he can drive the car on our driveway.  Yes, he is only five, but Pat has granted this request several times.  It's usually in the Neon--very small car.  Aidan will sit on Pat's lap and "drive" (control the steering wheel) and Pat will handle the gas and the brakes.  No harm done.  Aidan loves it because he can honk the horn as much as he likes!  I'm sure the neighbors love it!

So, as with most kids growing up, he has a taste for driving. 

And for cars.

Pretty much his favorite car has always been a Corvette.  Daddy has one (an old one, 1973, that basically sits in the garage).  Rob has one.  KK has one.  He sees them all over the place.  I think he actually likes them better than Ferrari's, which we also see all over the place.

So, the conversation that occurred the other night at dinner should not have been a surprise to me.

Aidan:  Now I'm five.  Next I'll be six.  Then seven.  Then eight.  Then nine.  Then I'll be ten!!! (holding up two hands and showing all ten fingers).  Then I can drive!!!

Uh oh. . .counting down to driving already?????

And this was then fed further by Daddy, who said, "Yeah Buddy!  We'll fix up Daddy's Corvette and you can drive that when you are in High School!"

I got trouble coming. . .Thanks be to God the High School is just around the corner!

2 comments:

sonflowerjax said...

Oh my gosh! Laughing out loud here! :) Too cute! I remember running down to the corner when I was little when my dad was coming home from work, and sitting on his lap to drive into the driveway too! I'm sure it will be a fun memory Aidan will have forever! :)

Barb said...

We had a back alley that my brother used to get to drive on . . . until he drove through a neighbour's fence and right into a tree . . . luckily that neighbour arrived home from a fishing trip with a few drinks under his belt and thought it was the funniest thing he ever saw:)