Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring Break Happenings

Last Saturday, I took Aidan to Ida Lee Park for an Easter Egg Hunt.  It is the last year he'll be able to do this.  He could technically do it again next year--the age cut off is 7--but he'll be weeks away from turning 8 and already looks like an almost 9 year old, so I think this will be it. 

When we got there, the Easter Bunny was roaming around the park and was gracious enough to stop to take a picture with Aidan. . . I had no idea Aidan covered his face until a little while ago when I downloaded the picture!!  And it's the only one I took.

If I had known, I would have thought it was a harbinger in of things to come.

At our appointed time, we went over to our designated egg hunt area for the 6-7  year olds.  We were crammed in a small space, under the trees.  It was not very big.  The areas for the little kids ere out in the open and were huge.  Of course, this really is more about the little kids and they are allowed to have the parents with them.  So, at the sound of the buzzer, the kids were off. . .with several parents running in too and grabbing up eggs for their kids.  I was horrified at these peoples behavior!  Eventually, I snapped out of it and went looking for my son who had wandered up the area looking for eggs.  I finally caught up with him and he was visibly upset.  Turned out it wasn't because he had only gotten 10 eggs (really!!) half of which he had promised to my friends daughter who was too scared to go at her turn because the Easter Bunny was in the area.  No, it was because he had seen one of his friends he had gone to preschool with et knocked down by a parent and his bag holding several eggs went flying and then kids and parents then swooped down on those eggs and snatched them up!  Can you believe it???  My sweet souled little man kept asking me why people would do this!  I was rally so incensed  fired off a scathing email to the park about how poorly planned this was and how it is a shame that this will be my sons last experience with this tradition and this is what he'll remember.

Okay.  I'm sure that nothing will come of that email, but I definitely felt better after I sent it.  : )

I just hugged my baby boy and told him that we could go home and he could play outside until dinner.  He was very happy then.

On Sunday, we went over to the mall and did some Spring Shopping.  I bought an Easter outfit for myself that is very springy and a few shirts and shorts for Aidan.  Pat didn't want anything, so we just looked around Sears and Dicks for him.  I have to admit, though, that we did wander into Yankee Candle and my weakness for the Fall scents overtook me. . .I now have a good supply of the Kitchen Spice candles. . .should last me until next Fall!

Monday was the first day offspring Break for Aidan.  It didn't start off well. . .
My office decided to close but Spring Break Camp over at the park was still on.  I decided to take Aidan late and then picked him up early.  It worked.  I had an unexpected day off to get some things done (cleaned a couple of shelves in the office and polished my silver!)and Aidan had fun with some kids at the park and even went swimming.  Fortunately, the snow didn't last.  It was gone by the afternoon.  I am so done with snow!

Perhaps the snow was a gentle reminder that five years, to the day, earlier, we had been in Krasnoyarsk going to court!  I held, with difficulty, Aidan on my lap that evening and told him all about court.  I hugged him and kissed him and told him that I was the luckiest Mama in the world because of him.  Love that boy!!

Spring Break camp went reasonably well.  There was one little boy who was a bit of a menace and my sweet and innocent little man learned the bad word of bad words while there (that's what happens when you put 6 year olds with 12 year olds!) so I have a couple more grey hairs.  But he had fun swimming every day and they went to see The Croods, which Aidan apparently loved and I am totally jealous he already saw!

This has been an interesting week in other ways.  With no hockey for the past week, my gas savings has been tremendous!  I haven't driven to the rink in over a week.  After going 3 and 4 times a week for so many months, it felt kind of strange. . .but then I saw how little gas I had used!  Woo hoo! 

Speaking of hockey, I think I may get a little confused in the coming weeks.  With two teams that Aidan is now on, I am getting emails and messages from both coaches and parents from both.  I really need to make a cheat sheet of who is on what team:  Kelly Green or Xtreme Selects.  Whoa.  It's going to be crazy for a couple of years with this cross over until Aidan is only on the Xtreme! 

In more hockey news, Aidan has been invited to train once a week with a coach who also works with the Caps.  I think we'll try it out for 5 or 6 sessions over the summer to see how it works for him.  It's early in the morning, so I'm okay with it during the Summer.  But, once school starts again in the Fall, we'll see.  School is top priority.

On Thursday we dyed our Easter Eggs.  They turned out pretty good.  We did some pastels and some glitter.  We're hoping our Egg thief (Maggie) will not eat them before Aidan can find them!



 

 



So, the only other thing we have going on, is that we bought new paint for the Man Cave so we can paint in there before the new fireplace is installed.  We also bought the new doorknob that requires us to enter a code to open the door. 

We're ready for Easter.  Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt B and UB will all be here for a nice feast.  We may need a fire in the fireplace, but we're thinking Spring anyway!  We're ready for those60 degree days!!  Hey!  It's a start! 

Happy Easter!

No comments: